Thursday, January 17, 2008

Where Have I Been?

Well, many of you that read my blog, probably already kknow that the last 3 weeks have not been good ones. I will write a very long entry once I return to the United States this coming Sunday. That's right, it is with great sadness that I am having to leave Kenya earlier than planned. However, that just means that I will be coming back all the sooner.

To make a long story short, I continued to have problems with seizures. Then, I had the wonderful opportunity of being in Kisumu the day that the election violence broke out and the downtown was looted and partially burned. Ben the driver and I were hold up in a hotel where we watched the building across the alley burn and such. Then it was back to the farm where we had additional violence in the Bungoma area.

One day, I went into a series of seizures -- 7 in all and was taken to St. Mary's Hospital for an overnight stay. The Flying Doctors airlifted me out the next morning and I went off to Nairobi Hospital for a 10 day stay. I think it was 3 days in ICU and 2 days in the step down unit, but will have to confirm that with Geri. An induced coma finally stopped the seizing and so I am resting up in a hotel this week. I am slowly learning how close I came to not making it. Had they not been able to stop the seizures with the 24 hour coma, then it would have been a 5 day induced coma. Fun, fun, fun.

Poor Geri has been a great friend and suffered through the actions that I had no idea were occurring. My brother Bill was on the other end of daily phone calls. As I said, I will write much more next week from my home in Portland. There were actually some comedic moments within all of the mess.

1 comment:

Recovery Roxx said...

John, When you get this I want you to know how extremely relieved I am that you are alive and well (even if not in perfect shape). You are an amazing person and that is evidenced by how many people care about you and have helped you through the past month. I am so grateful that you have Geri with you. I emailed briefly with Bill and finally found out what was happening with you. Please make it home safe and sound so that we can lavish you with care and affection. I will see you soon!
Love, Racquel