Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Malaria is really no fun!

Well, it's been 10 days since my last post and many of you may be wondering where I have been. As you can see by the title of this blog, I've been a bit under the weather. Even when I posted my last entry things were not good.

I must have been bit by the toughest little mosquito shortly after arriving in Kenya. Around the middle of October I was getting really tired and going to bed by 8 or 8:30PM. Now, I do go to be early, but even for me that is early. Then, while I was doing my class down in Kisumu/Yala area I got so week on the one day that even standing up for a minute or so left me so dizzy and ready to pass out. Off we went to St. Mary's hospital. It's a good private hospital. They put me on Corteum AL which is a 3 day treatment for malaria. I stayed in bed for several days and then was feeling good. It was about that time that I was able to think back and realize that I had been sick for quite a while.

So, on I went to teach the wonderful class that I've already blogged about. I had then had 3 days to rest and relax. But, on the day another class was to start I was feeling really bad and had Reuben drive us. I didn't get out of the car and returned to the farm with him. Three hours of sleep didn't do the trick. I kept jerking myself awake.

Once I woke up, I went out of the door long enough to ask Stallone to go and get Dr. Mohamed. He's finsihed 4 years of medical school. I guess that by the time he got there, I was going into my first seizure. That was followed by a second and then a wonderful third. They helped me to the restroom after a recovered a bit. Guess what? I don't remember coming out and I guess Stallone picked me up and got me back to the hut before I went into the 4th one. Off they took me to St. Mary's. They couldn't do much, other that say that I needed to be watched and for Mohamed to get some Valium to inject again.

They took care of me and Stallone slept in the hut on a mattress on the floor. The family is wonderful and were so concerned. Mohamed came each morning and evening over the weekend to do some muscle therapy and injections. Reuben called Hank, one of the US directors for ICODEI, who is part of the AMPATH program that does work here in Kenya. Monday morning qwe headed off to Eldoret and the Moi Teaching and Research Hospital. My CT Scan is fine. It cost me a whopping 4,000Ksh or about $60.

They are slowly weaning me back off the Valium injections and that will be over tomorrow. I'm doing my normal recovering and am stiff but fine. I'll be taking it quite easy for the next several weeks. I'll be able to to some manual updates each day and then get plenty of naps in between.

Many of you know that malaria was my one big dread, but what can I say... it happened. My volunteer work here is so rewarding and I wouldn't have it any other way. I guess that I qualify as a true Kenyan now that I've had malaria. I will keep people posted on how I'm doing, but don't worry. I've had good care and despite the experience will be fine. I would say some more thoughts, but should keep those to myself so as not to worry people. I'm fine, a bit tired, but in the wonderful care of a family that loves and cares for me.

No comments: