Tuesday, December 19, 2006

When the Road is Good, It's decent; When it is bad, Holy S#!t

We traveled to Kabula yesterday. The trip is about 500km and took about 8 hours. You have not seen potholes until you see the ones on the road. It is the main road for trucks hauling cargo. There were two overturned semis, probbly about 8 broken down on the road. The grooves in parts of the road were so deep that we actually bottomed out several times. The driver dropped us off in Bungoma and then we had to call a local cab to take us out to Kabula. We will be able to take a bus back to Nairobi because our bags will be much lighter. We bought a lot of school supplies and other items.

We are sharing a boma (hut) with two other woman. Thee one has been here for 2 months and leaves last we. The other one arrived about 15 minutes after us and ... well, lets just say she won't be our ffavorite. She has the whiniest voice and is trying. We settled in fine and had dinner with the whole crew. There is an couple between Geri's age and mine. There are 6 undergrads from Cornell, and a married couple from Washington DC area.

I'm writing from a little internet cafe that has VERY SLOW dial up service. We took a matatu (van) into town this morning. It held about 14 people and 3 chickens. The cost is 30 shillings or 5o cents. We bought some basics to supplement the food they have. Some biscuits, peanut butter, shortbread cookies, papayas, and the necessary toilet paper.

We'll head back to the home base in a bit. I definitely need a shower and will get to try out the campshower I bought. I wish I could upload pictures, but they will have to wait. It will be the adventure of a lifetime I am sure.

Mom, Adolfo, Bill-- Don't worry I am filtering my water, taking my malaria medicine, using sunscreen, mosquito repellent and the mosquito net. So far, no intestinal problems. I will try to call. I forgot to bring my phone into town where the reception is better.

My love to everyone reading this!

2 comments:

BigBrother said...

I mailed Geri's package this morning. They said approximately 1 week for delivery. If you tried to call last night, all I heard was my own voice echoing.

Mom Ruth said...

Glad to hear you are taking care of yourself; I e-mailed family and told them you had arrived safely. I had been printing your blogs to save them for you but seems all of them print each time so guess I should wait and do them at once. Do you know if they stay on forever? Am a novice at blogging-