Friday, April 18, 2008

The Lives of Kenyan Children, April 15th

Today really showed the wide range of living situations for children here in Kenya. Normally, schools would be on a trimester break for the whole of April. However, because of the conflicts in January, many schools are operating on a modified schedule. So, Reuben’s oldest daughter, Donna, had to report back to her school for a week of classes. I decided to ride down with Mama Betty and Ben (the driver). It’s about halfway between the farm and Kisumu although also off the main road about 10 miles. During the course of the drive 4 sets of children really caught my attention.

The first set was two boys helping their mother carry what were likely building supplies for a new hut. The one child could not have been more than 8 or so, yet he was dragging two long wooden poles about 4 or 5 inches in diameter. These would be used for making the roof of a thatched hut.

We had to stop at the store in Kakamega to pick up some things for Donna. There I saw the more depressing lives of small children. Sniffing glue is a huge problem in Kenya. It’s always (or at least I only see) boys begging for food or money. One hand outstretched and the other hand clutching a glass bottle with thick yellow glue in it. The three boys waiting outside the store were likely 7 or 8 years old. They were handing out flyers for a “Miracle Revival.” I hate looking into their eyes because they are always blood shot and simply glazed over. It fills me with both anger and pity. Angry because they are so young but live in a world where they are not cared for enough to be kept from entering a life of addiction at such a young age. Angry that, for some, their parents have sent them to the streets to beg. Angry that they will die at an early age. Then, for the same reasons I feel pity. The situation really tears at my emotions. What should I be feeling?

The next set of children were two boys I saw in the market place at Shimakhokho. In case you are wondering, “kh” is pronounced as a kind of guttural “heh” sound. You place your tongue against your bottom teeth, which makes the back of the tongue, raise it a bit, and then you exhale. I can picture you all trying this at your computer. Anyway, the boys were walking arm in arm, laughing, and looking full of innocent mischievous. A look I am sure you are all familiar with.

And finally, a young boy entertaining himself with a homemade toy. I think I have written before of the toys that seem to make children very happy here. And, the toys that make me think that children and youth in the States are very spoiled. This young (5 or 6) boy had a ceramic spool used as an insulator on a power line at the bottom of a U-shaped wire rod used for reinforcing concrete. It was basically a wheel on a stick that he pushed around on the ground. Can you imagine taking away an American child’s Playstation and giving them this toy? I can see the temper tantrum as I type.

Finally, to end on a very funny note, I saw a vehicular sighting as I have never seen before. Cars here are often overloaded whether it is with passengers or with cargo. We were passing a small compact car and I looked and saw to people sitting behind the wheel! There was the driver sitting in the lap of another adult. They saw us looking at them and laughing and they laughed back. Definitely not a safe driving situation, but it was funny to see none the less.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the glue kids....one thing that will remain in my memories for years and years to come....