Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Long Rains

I know you've all seen those National Geographic specials. The ones where the rainy season comes to the African Plains and all the animals are happy. Well, let me tell you, when the rains come they definitely make themselves known. We are in the midst of the rainy season and it has not failed to disappoint. For those of you in Portland, you have nothing on the weather here. It's actually been kind of nice for sleeping. I'm in one of the buildings that has a metal roof so when I wake up during the night I have the rain to lull me back to sleep. Of course, there are also the times where the rain does no lulling, but pounds like crazy. It rained non-stop last night. The good news was that it stopped around 9AM so that I could come into town without getting drenched.

I feel like I needed to write an entry for the day even though there isn't anything to tell you. I've developed a little routine where I come into town so that I can use my laptop where I have access to electricity. So, here I sit at the internet cafe checking email, looking through some training materials on CDs and listening to music. I'll soon head over to the Coffee Garden where I'll order the Steak and chips and a large Crest (a bitter lemon soda similar to Fresca but less of a bite). The whopping bill will be 215ksh or $3.50. I'll pick up The Daily Nation newspaper to read while I eat. Then, it's across the street to either Khetia's or Sharrif's for a little shopping. I need the essentials such as peanut butter and Cadbury milk chocolate bars.

I'll probably start back on an EMPOWER program in about 2 weeks or so. I've held of o doing them so that my fees can be concentrated on vehicle repairs and such. However, I can only spend so much time updating the Facilitator's Guide and Orientation Manual. It's something I've procrastinated on, but it's happening now.

Tomorrow I am headed over to Busia which is one of the border crossings with Uganda. To people who had planned to volunteer with ICODEI have been in Uganda volunteering instead. They are coming here for two weeks and bringing a bunch of medicine for the Clinic. I thought it would be nice to pick them up so they don't have to deal with matatus all the way to Kabula. Plus, crossing at the border is always a little daunting. There are tons of money changers, taxi drivers, etc. vying (sp?) for your money.

No comments: