Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Bits and Pieces

I thought I would do a post of some of the miscellaneous things that I come across in my daily life.  These are things that don't seem to fit anywhere else or aren't big enough to deserve an entry of their very own.

Miriam
What can I say about Miriam other than she is one of the most adorable children you can find.  She's about 2 1/2 now and really coming into her own as a mtoto (child).  When I first met her she was so reluctant to even come near me.  However, that's all changed.  In fact, when I was coming up to the building on the boda-boda after being away for a week, Miriam saw me and started yelling out.  There were some other kids with her so they all started chanted.  The people walking in the street weren't sure what was going on.


Miriam is sitting on the only tricycle I've ever seen in my time here in Kenya.  If you look closely you may notice that it is homemade.  The dolly she has came from my grand niece Lexi.  She's an African American baby doll, but is so light skinned that Miriam thinks she's an mzungu baby.  Like all children, she love me to play airplane with her by lifting her up and swinging her around.  It's pitiful but I certainly can't do it like I used to be able to.

Noontime  Down the Street
I love walking to the store around 12:30 in the afternoon.  Just down the way are the Jamii (Neighborhood) Mosque and the Moi Primary School.  The road becomes such a beehive of activity.  It's a sea of white, gray and red as students and worshipers make their way.

The school uniforms are a fine dark gray plaid with a little bit of red running through it.  The students wear sweaters of a rich red.  They come flowing out of the school yard and into the alley to head home for lunch.  It seems to be an unending flow of children.

The street is also full of Muslims heading to the midday prayer.  Because of Ramadan, attendance seems to be a little higher and the dress a little more traditional.  Men in white flowing gowns (kanzu) with their embroidered hats (kofia).  It's enjoyable to watch the young men walking together, joking, and laughing.  Older men seem to be engrossed in conversations as well.

This amalgamation of people just seems to be soothing to me.  It's simply a wonderful visual to watch.
All Roads Are Not Created Equal

I've already written about the trip I took to visit the paternal grandmother of President Obama.  It was such a great trip in terms of showing that patronage is alive and well in Kenya.  That's not to say it doesn't happen in the US.  After all, what would any appropriations bill be without a little 'pork' thrown in.  But, back to the point at hand.


There is a section of road between Bungoma and Mumias that practically defies a good explanation.  You see, Mumias is home to a very large sugar cane processing plant.  As such, overload trailers of sugar cane ply the road on a regular basis.  Overloaded trailers and poor quality asphalt do not make a good mix.  The road has never been worked on in the three years that I've been coming to Kenya.  Several miles have been reduced to the reddish dirt that is common in these parts.  In fact the matatus spend as much time driving on the side of the road as they do on the actual 'road.'  It's truly unbelievable.

The stretch of road between Kisumu and Bondo, on the other hand, is the polar opposite.  You see, Bondo is the home of Raila Odinga, the current Prime Minister of Kenya.  My guess is he never travels the road between Nairobi and Kisumu.  I'm quite sure that he prefers to fly into Kisumu Airport.  From there, he travels the next 35 miles by road.  That stretch of road is the nicest that I have ever seen.  I don't believe there was a single pothole anywhere.  It was so beautiful.

Stoney Tangawizi
Stoney Tangawizi has got to be one of the best drinks ever invented.  It's a ginger beer that is a product of Coca Cola.  It's not a beer in the sense of being alcoholic since it isn't.  But, it's not light like ginger ale is.  It has such a strong and tangy ginger taste to it and packs a punch.  It is such a great thirst quencher and I wish they had it in the United States.

Are you lying or is it just not quite the truth?
This is something that I could write a book on but will keep it short.  This, obviously is a bit of a generalization, but it happens often enough to make me write about it.  It is difficult to sometimes get an honest answer out of people.  It's not that a person is intentionally lying to you, it's just that they aren't quite telling you the truth.

Say I'm waiting on someone.  I can call them on the phone and they will tell me they are 10 minutes away.  An hour (or two) later they may arrive.  They may say they are in Bungoma but they are really in Kimilili which is about 30 miles away.

No comments: