Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Arrived Safely In Nairobi

Well, this post won't be too exciting, but I have arrived safely back in Nairobi. I got into Nairobi around 6AM yesterday morning. The traffic, even that early in the morning, is bumper to bumper. But, best of all and unlike last time, my luggage arrived safely with me.

I'm back at the Panafric Hotel. It's truly amazing that most everyone, from the doorman to the woman in the business center, recognized me and welcomed me back. I spent the day napping and reading on and off. More napping than reading. I woke up this morning and am feeling well rested and ready to take on the day.

I'll be running errands today. I've got to go to the technical bookstore to look at some HIV/AIDS materials that I can use in updating the curriculum while I am here. I also need to get my bus ticket to Bungoma on Friday. And finally, I get to see if I can have my laptop repaired since the screen was broken in route. Not sure that I can do that, but I think that I may be able to use it by hooking it up to a monitor.

I am going to the Kibera slums with the concierge this afternoon. He has a project there with AIDS orphans. It is always difficult to be up front on my not being able to support a new project, but I did say that I could do a small donation. He knows me from the last time I was here, but didn't realize that I was HIV+ until a mentioned it yesterday. He really didn't believe me and said that there is no HIV in America. It took some convincing, but he finally agreed that I could have HIV.

I will be going to the Ruarake area tomorrow afternoon to meet with another group. Two of the volunteers that were in Bungoma with us last year have supported this group. I am delivering a digital camera and some money on their behalf. The group were union organizers in the garment district. The government squashed their efforts and have blacklisted them from being able to work in the factories. They have formed a welfare league to support the workers and provide HIV education and testing. They recently did testing for a large group and are now dealing with the results. Those that are negative are trying to be supportive of those that have tested positive. Those that are positive are trying to comprehend the results and deal with the stigma that is still so very pervasive. I am going to meet with them and share my experiences.

Not much else to report. It is exciting to be back in Kenya and I'm exciting about making it to Bungoma on Friday evening.

2 comments:

Mom Ruth said...

Glad to hear that you arrived safely with luggage. Carol was going to post a note but I told her your screen was broken. Had #10 treatment yesterday and today. Will probably have shots again starting Thurs. Only 2 more to go. It is nice that people at the hotel remembered you. Sounds as though you are busy already and will be in Bungoma by Friday night.
Take care; we love you.

Harriet said...

Hi John,
I made my first visit to the OR penn, for a meeting with our HAAP peer educators. It was really a positive experience for me, and I was just so surprised by how evolved, businesslike, articulate and nice the peer educators all were, really dashed my stereotype.
I didn't know you had gone to Africa. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you travel and share. Come home safe and thankyou for including me in your email and linking me to your blog.

Remain in Light,
Harriet (HAAP board member)