Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why I Do What I Do

Yesterday was the last day of my first EMPOWER training since coming back to Kenya. It was in the village of Ejinja. We were able to graduate 11 students out of 16 that were in the class. The remaining 4 were unable to complete all of the sessions for a number of reasons. There were a couple of deaths in the family, illness and such. I remember writing about the last day of class being bittersweet when I was here the last time and this current round is no difference. Those attending class put so much effort into both getting to class and then the studying required to learn the material. Although the material is presented in both English and Kiswahili, the manual is still only in English. Hopefully, after this next round of revisions, it can be fully translated.

Graduation Day is always a day for celebration and so I ordered a cake for the occasion. However, the class gave me the better surprise. Sometimes, when we do classes, the women will arrange to have lunch for us after each session. But, with this group that did not happen. It wasn’t out of not wanting to do so, but because even the close people were still a distance from the class location. Additionally, I think that this group was even more financially burdened than the average.

So, it was with great appreciation that Mary and I were greeted with celebratory food that the group had arranged. A case of sodas was brought in for everyone. These cost 17Ksh each or about 25 cents. We also received bananas and hard boiled eggs. The class ate 2 loaves of bread (plain). Some of you don’t know it, but I really do not like hard boiled eggs. It’s a whole food texture thing that just makes them catch in my throat. But, knowing that they had gone out of their way to pool funds for both the sodas and the eggs, I managed the ability to eat two of them. I think I even did it without making any faces. They also sang for us.
One of the students had written something that I have included below. Several of the people mentioned have been involved with mobile clinics that have visited and provided medical treatment. It really epitomizes why I am here and the intrinsic rewards that I received.

A Vote of Thanks

It was once announced by the former president of Kenya HIV and AIDS is “a national disaster.” That time this monster used to kill more than seven hundred people a day, but through government and non-governmental organizations such as Intercommunity Development Involvement (ICODEI) situation has reduced. In that connection I would like to pass sincere thanks to the founder of ICODEI, through them I have met different expert who has discharged knowledge about HIV and AIDS to name a few Laura Allen from USA, Carey from Canada, Janet Okamu from Kenyan [these were people that did a General HIV Awareness several years back and he remembered their names], and this present time I would like to pass my thanks and appreciation to Mr John Motter from USA and Sister Mary Nyumbura from Kenyan and also Rhea from Australia who is also working under ICODEI.

Let God bless you as you continue expand teaching in Western Kenya, all over the country all over the world, thank for the value human life, sure you are doing a promising work.
Even though this is a day of departure, please remember to come back and see the differences.
Pamoja Tuangamize Ukmiwi [this means Together We Fight or Defeat AIDS]
Thanks By Kevin Maina Maloba

No comments: