Sunday, October 21, 2007

Going to Class in the Interior

Sorry for the delay in getting a new post added to the blog. I've been in town some to check email but haven't taken the time to write much else. The first class was tiring and so I am still taking some time to catch up with rest. Trying to do some self care as I have lot's off you checking in to make sure I am doing that.

I started an EMPOWER class on Thursday. It is north of Bungoma in a village called Nakoba. Nakoba is in the interior which means it's way off the beaten path. The first day was full of excitement for Mary and I because we came up over a little rise and hit some mud and sank in up to the front axles. I should have put the car in 4 wheel drive but the roads were dry, just narrow and rutted. It took about 12-15 men to get us puched out... That and 200Ksh ($3.00) They wanted more money because they know msungus have money. Mary argued with them and we got back on the road.

I wish I could fully translate what the roads going into the interior are like. Some of them aren't too bad and are simply dirt lanes that are wide enough for two cars. Others aren't much more than a walking path that a car can squeeze down. Lots of deep ruts, but we got to class.

This class has 12 students. Again, like the last one, they are definitely eager to learn and ask some really good questions. We have 3 more days of class and then the final day for the exam and practice presentations.

I'll try to keep up a little better on the blogging. We got two volunteers in last night. They are both working with HIV/AIDS so they can switch between doing EMPOWER and the General Awareness presentations. That will also give me a little extra time to work on updating the manual.

No comments: