Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Big Boy's Bed

Woo Hoo! I got a big boy's bed today. It is a 4'x6', so not really a full size bed, but definitelye bigger than a twin and it's not a bunk bed. They are building a new building that will house up to 16 people. It's mainly for student teachers that come to Bungoma through a somewhat sparate program with the University of Indiana. I offered up my twin bed for that building in exchange for buying a new bed for my hut. It was a total of $150 for both and worth every penny. It is much more comfortable and less claustrophobic. If I slept on the top bunk I ran the risk of a large tumble should I have a seizure at night. And, sleeping on the bottom bunk was really claustrophobic because the beds aren't quite as high as they are in the states. I'm definitely settling in and enjoying the small little luxuries.

We lost 3 volunteers on Saturday. They were all nice, but I really hit it off with two of them and so it was sad to drop them off for the bus. They were both medical students. One was from Tasmania and the other from Chicago. They had arrived on the same day and it was apparently a great love connection. The remaining volunteers are all enjoyable and nice to be around. It's always a little odd since I am probably older than some of their parents. One volunteer has made a couple of "off" remarks around my HIV status, so I will take a wait and see approach. If it continues, I'll have to have a talk. I think that sometimes it's not meant intentionally so it provides a chance for education.

The heavy rains in the afternoon continue to plague us. Just think back to any National Geographic shows you have watched and that will give you and idea of the amount of rain that is dumped on the ground. Upon waking in the morning you can see some puddles, but it is surprising to note that most of it is nowhere to be seen.

Take care everyone and know that I am thinking of all of you.

No comments: