Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Up North to Church

Sunday and it's off to church with Reuben and Mama Betty. He is in a new church since the last time, but it is still up north towards Kitale. You head to Kiminini, hang a right, go to the second village, hang another right and drive into the interior. In other words, off the beaten track. Even though I did trainings at Reuben's old church when I was last here, I never got to hear him preach. Now, I know some of you are wondering what the heck I was doing in church. I am a fairly spiritual person and was raised going to Sunday School and church each week. I don't go often, but certainly hold a fair amount of faith that things will be well.

Anyway, back to the subject. Church is a wonderful celebration of music and song and dance. Most of the service was in Kiswahili, but I was amazed at how much I could follow despite not knowing what was being said. Reuben is a very charismatic preacher and engages his congregation. The congregation said a special prayer for my mom and her chemo treatment. I certainly think the power of prayer can work. I talked to her yesterday (Monday and yes, I'm post dating again) and she had been in bed in quite of bit of pain for 3 days. Monday was the first day she'd been up and about.

We had lunch at a house that had been a colonial estate during the English occupation of Kenya. It was bought by a member of the church diocese. If the walls could talk. Towards the end of British rule, there was really ruthless treatment of native Kenyans. Anyway, it was a great lunch and visit. I will likely stay up there sometimes when I am doing classes as it would eliminate the daily 2 hour drive.

Back to the house for Chapati night. Chapati is a flat bread that is done on a griddle over a small charcoal brazier and they are so good. They're basicallya big round pancake type flour that for some reason is just wonderful to eat.

I know that these postings may be a little choppy, but time at the internet cafe is always too short. The good news is that there is a cafe that is a little faster connection than the old one. More to come another day.

No comments: