Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Cacophony of Noise or the Harmony of Sound?

After being up for several hours this morning, I laid down to take a short nap. Upon awakening, I listened to the sound drifting in through my open window. I realized how at times it comes through as a wonderful melody while other times it is harsh on the ears. I decided that after several pretty sobering entries, today was the day for a little more lighthearted discussion of small town life in Bungoma.

Initially, I wanted to discuss the "cacophony" of noise. However, I thought I'd better clarify the meaning of the word in order to insure that I would be using it correctly. So often, as I type away on this blog, I know that I am creating a host of grammatical errors that would make any editor cringe. For whatever reason, correctness was important to me today.

The definition of cacophony I finally settled on was the following: harsh, inharmonious collection of sounds; dissonance. As an example, "The beautiful harmony of the symphony was well enjoyed after the cacophony coming from the stage as the orchestra warmed up." This example was perfect as it really exemplifies how I feel at different times. I don't always know when the warm up ends and the symphony begins.

I probably live about 200 yards, at most, from the Jamii (Community) Mosque. As such, the first sounds of the morning come through my closed windows at about 5AM. I don't always wake up to it, but even when I do, it usually comes as a reassuring sound to the start of a new day. I don't understand the language of the morning call to prayer, but it serves melodic sound. The imam's voice chants over the loudspeaker throughout the day, but it's that first one that I notice most often.

My apartment building is a beehive of activity every morning. It is a 2 story structure with the rooms opening onto a inner courtyard. The upper story has an open area where laundry can be done and hung out to dry. It's also the area for people to wash their dishes if they are in a room that is without it's one bathroom and shower. You see, some people share a communal bath and shower area. This open area becomes a community living room for visiting and gossiping. My bedroom window looks out directly onto this area.

By 7AM, two of the young bachelors were busy doing their laundry. They are both matatu conductors responsible for collecting the money and paying for the petrol and the driver as they ply their routes. Since they work 6 days a week, I always know I will find them doing laundry early on Sundays so that they can then head off to church. There is the sound of sloshing water, talking and laughing, and sweeping of water towards the drain.

Fast forwards a short while longer and it's the turn of people doing dishes. Are they left over from last night or this morning's sufuria (cooking vessel) used for making chai? Other folks come out brushing their teeth. It's amazing how loud that can sound at times. The small watotos (children) have woken up and are on the first level playing and laughing. Mothers call to them but they must not listen as I here them call once again.

Soon, I hear singing and praying coming over the loud speaker from the church a hundred yards behind the building. The Kiswahili is unknown to me for the most part. I know the meaning of Baba and Jehovah but the rest is lost to me. This morning's sermon seems to be a bit more fire and brimstone than what is normal. Or, at least the tenor and intonation implies such.

Off in the distance, I can hear the bleating of sheep and goats. They are tied up along the road where they can graze on the meager grass and sift through the garbage that will be collected tomorrow by the City Council wagon that serves as the garbage truck. The cat in heat has returned to the roof above me. I heard the thud of it pouncing above my head at the same time it let out that irritable cry that bothered me so much last night.

The clanking of the workers in the mechanic yard behind me has started up again. It is a slow day in the yard. Many of the workers are probably in church, but the few remaining have started to work a little later than is usual.

Is all of this, by definition, harsh or inharmonious collection of sounds? Not today. Today it is relaxing and reassuring to my ears. It lets me know that all seems normal in my little building, in my little world. It's been a wonderful welcome to the start of the day. I know that I can add my own sounds of washing dishes and sweeping my floors. It lets me know that I'm at peace.

1 comment:

Jeanne Schoeller said...

My heart is with you my friend...