Friday, August 14, 2009

Living in 208 Square Feet

Yep, that's the size of my apartment... a whopping 208 square feet. Think of it as a large master bedroom suite in the United States. The total dimension is 13 ' by 16'. It consists of my bedroom which also serves as the living room. The kitchen area doubles as my closet. And then there is a room with a toilet and another with a shower. It's a little shabby by most standards I suppose, but it's home and I really enjoy it.

My bedroom is the largest of the rooms being 7' by 10.5'. I am a little spoiled so I have what is called a 5x6 bed. Simply put, it means it is 5 feet by 6 feet, which is near to a queen size back home. I have an ample supply of pillows because it serves as a couch for other MALE guests. Females must sit in either the desk chair, or a simple arm chair such as what we would call the captain's chair at a dining room table. Usually, a woman would never enter the bedroom of a male but it's permissible as long as they can sit in one of the chairs, and preferably if there is another person present. I also have a desk with space for my laptop and TV. Storage is at a premium so there are shelves tucked up around the room.

As I said, the kitchen is also my closet. It's only 7'x7' and has a set of shelves for clothes, a set of shelves for dishes and food, and a stand for my cooktop. I don't own a refrigerator so perishables such as meat need to be bought at the time I will be cooking them. Other items, such as githeri (beans and maize) can be cooked and kept overnight as long as they are heated in the morning. I cook on a little two burner propane stove.

The bathroom... Well let's just say that you need to be good at squatting. I moved up in the ranks of luxury when I moved into town. Prior to this apartment I used a "long drop" which is basically a a whole in the floor of an outhouse. My toilet here is a flushing long drop. It's not a regular toilet that you sit down upon. It looks like a urinal put into the floor and so you squat down on your haunches and do your business.

My shower room is truly multipurpose. I do use it as a shower. There is an electrified shower head that serves as an instant hot water heater so that I do get a hot shower. Again this is a luxury in these parts. Many people in town have showers but the water is not heated. In other more rural areas, a shower is bathing from a bucket. This room is also where I do my dishes and do my laundry. I have several sets of buckets for different purposes. Two basins serve as my "double sink." One is for washing and the other rinsing. Dishes go into a drainer and then sit on a shelf in my kitchen area. Two 5 gallon buckets are for doing small loads of wash. And, then I have two huge basins that I use when doing larger amounts of wash.

Everything has to have it's place in such a small area. This is good since it helps to satisfy my burgeoning obsessive/compulsive disorder. I can spend time rearranging to get the perfect fit of things. I think most followers of my blog are also Facebook friends. There are pictures of my apartment there although I should take some new ones as I've made some changes.

5 comments:

Ron Hager said...

Oh my! Since you don't have much floor space, I hope you make ample use of your "wall space".

John M said...

Trust me, I do. Everything is up on the walls. Fortunately, there's some 'hidden' areas where it's not quite as noticeable.

Mohammed said...

You are livig like a king.We take our shower in running rivers.You know how Kenyan rivers are polluted?
We do this early in the morning so as to avoid women seeing us.However, the 'I do not care' take shower anytime of the day.

Unknown said...

what is your facebook page to see the photos.

Unknown said...

what is the facebook page to see the photos